[vfio-users] Hardware support explanation

rndbit rndbit at sysret.net
Thu Dec 3 11:35:16 UTC 2015

You can (even should) use intel hd graphics for host while
passing-through pci-e gpu.

Any CPU with virtualisation extensions (vt-x/vt-d) should work. Some
motherboards may not fully support all requirements for passthrough
though. To be sure of hardware compatibility you should look up what
hardware worked for other people. There was google docs spreadsheet with
list of hw configurations that users reported working but i cant find it
because of how stupid archlinux forum search is.

Nvidia drivers try to block passthrough of hardware but there are
workarounds. AMD GPUs seem to work much better. Regarding m variants - i
dont know. Got such a laptop myself (with 960m)  and would love to get
it working, so far i had no luck. But even if it works im not so sure
how useful it can be since that gpu will not have screen attached to it.