[vfio-users] nVidia Code 43

Alan Jenkins alan.james.jenkins at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 08:08:41 UTC 2015

Hey guys,

I have spent the last 2 days experimenting trying to get my GTX690 passed
through to a Windows 10 guest and since succeeding have been getting
nothing but Code 43 errors.

In Windows 10 I am currently using the latest nVidia driver (359.06).

My libvirt xml is here http://pastebin.com/KY9QWhcu note that there is a
device commented out from passthrough, that is a PCI express SSD which I
will be trying to make work but for the time being I am focusing on getting
getting the GTX 690 to function (remember it is a dual GPU card which is
why there is so much forwarded).

I am running Arch Linux with the linux-vfio-lts kernel from AUR as I
discovered the hard way that there is currently a bug in the normal kernels
that causes passthrough to hang the VM while it is loading Windows and
cause the host machine to stutter. The exact kernel version is:
4.1.13-1-vfio-lts #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 10 13:21:54 GMT 2015 x86_64
GNU/Linux.

My libvirt version is: 1.3.0-1.
My Tianocore uefi is from this RPM:
edk2.git-ovmf-x64-0-20151209.b1361.gfaec499.noarch.rpm

Have nVidia stepped up their efforts to block us from using vga passthrough
or is there something I have missed in my XML that could be indicating to
the driver that it is running in a VM which then causes it to Code 43 me?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Alan Jenkins