[vfio-users] HDMI audio distortion and crackle randomly

Hristo Iliev hristo at hiliev.eu
Sat Dec 19 12:41:32 UTC 2015

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 18:13:01 +0700 Okky Hendriansyah <okky at nostratech.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 19, 2015, at 12:51, nahoxou at netcourrier.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have now upgraded virtual machine from win8 to win10 but I have still
> > this HDMI audio issue. It seems my linux vm not affected by that.
> > I use VGA passthrough so not soundhw hda...
> > Sometimes if I'm lucky I can get back to normal the sound when reinit
> > "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" device but reboot vm is the best. I tried
> > different configs in win audio settings but nothing and I haven't another
> > audio card to check. This issue appears randomly during session, idle or
> > not...
> >
> > Does anyone know please if it's vfio related?
>
> Hi,
>
> Have you tried enabling MSI on the GPU? [1][2]
>
> [1] http://vfio.blogspot.com/2014/09/vfio-interrupts-and-how-to-coax-windows.html
> [2] https://virtualkvm.com/viewtopic.php?id=11

I can confirm that MSI resolved the same problem I used to have back then when
my VM was Win 8. I'm using DisplayPort audio. It was cracking and lagging due
to periodic delays. Enabling MSI for the NVIDIA audio device by following
Alex's blog post fixed it.

I don't know if Win 10 works without MSI as the first thing I did after I
installed it was to enable the MSI on the audio device.

Cheers,
Hristo