[vfio-users] Got BSOD when using kvm=off

Eddie Yen missile0407 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 05:21:43 UTC 2015

I'm trying to make Geforce GTX980 as secondary GPU card.

So first, I use my already built Windows 10 VM as target.
This VM has already included kvm=off and hyper-v functions, and installed
with OVMF.

I added virtual hardware by using virt-manager, add QXL and Spice,
Then launch VM, found that Windows 10 boot normally and GTX980 works wo any
errors.
I ran OpenCL render benchmark and it works great wo any problem.
Also, all of this works finished by using virt-manager screen, I'm not plug
another monitor on GTX980.

Next, I tried another VM using Windows 7 with SeaBIOS. I install Windows 7
first, and mount GTX980 into VM when finished installation.
I installed NVIDIA driver, because I didn't edit XML file so I got Code 43
on GTX980 after reboot.

Then, I edited XML, add kvm=off, and launch again, this time I got BSOD
with 0x000003B error code.

My spec still same:
Core i7 4820K
GTX480 (Host)
GTX980 (Guest)

And software:
Host OS: Fedora 22 workstation
QEMU: 2.4.0 with Hyper-V patch
libvirt: 1.2.13.fc22
virt-manager: 1.2.1-2.fc22

I know that GeForce card can't be a secondary card, so maybe I got BSOD is
normal
But I can let my GTX980 as secondary when guest is Win10.
Maybe it because Win10 is using OVMF, but I need to do some experiments.