[vfio-users] Gpu passthrough poor performance.

Manvir Singh webmaster at programming4life.com
Wed Nov 11 13:50:53 UTC 2015

I've finally got windows 10 working and booting in fedora 23 with GPU passthrough only problem now is I get very low fps in any game. Let's take for example GTA 5 I kept my settings for GTA 5 that I used previously on windows that I know are good settings giving me decent fps as I've used the settings before. So it's not the settings being too high that's causing this. I give the VM all but one of my 8 cores checking for a CPU performance problem and still the fps was very low. Also another thing in GTA 5 if I go to settings it says I only have 512MB of vram when I have 3GB. Also if I open AMD catalyst control center it doesn't show my card there however if I disable then reenable the driver/card from device manager in windows then GTA 5 and AMD catalyst control center both recognize the card but doing this causing artefacts. I'm using latest AMD BETA drivers from there site.

[Host]
OS: Fedora 23
CPU: FX-8350
MOBO: GA-990FXA-UD3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4672#ov
GPU:  R9 280 x2 (passing only one card to the vm using the other card on host)
RAM: 16GB

[Vm]
OS: Windows 10
CPU: host-passthrough
GPU: Second R9 280
Ram: 8GB
Type: UEFI, BIOS (I've tried both it doesn't seem to make a deference)