[vfio-users] Windows 10 Threshold 2 (Version 1511, OS Build 10586.3) Upgrade Issues

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Sat Nov 14 16:11:52 UTC 2015

Hi Folks,

In case any of your Windows 10 guests are having BSOD issues when upgrading to “Threshold 2”, changing the CPU model to core2duo (and only 2 cores) made the progress. After applying the upgrade, I revert it back to host. There was a pop up error, at “Configuring settings” step which I think it was the QEMU Guest Agent driver, but the upgrade still continues.

Another issues that I encountered post upgrade:
1. System Info still shows the CPU as a Core 2 Duo with only 2 cores, instead of Core i7-4770 with 4 cores.
2. My NVIDIA GTX 980 shows error 43 in Device Manager.

Then I tried to completely remove the NVIDIA display driver using Guru3D’s Display Driver Uninstaller from [1]. It went back to Safe Mode, I picked the recommended option Clean and Restart. After restart, somehow the CPU in System Info recognized again as Core i7-4770 with 4 cores. I grabbed the latest NVIDIA driver (358.91) and do a fresh install and restart.

Currently testing the game stability and performance. The boot time is significantly felt faster than the previous build.

[1] http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Best regards,
--
Okky Hendriansyah