[vfio-users] Video out issue on Supermircro X10DRi

Erik Adler erik.adler at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 01:26:57 UTC 2015

Name: disclaimer.txt
-------------- next part --------------
So I am testing a Supermircro X10DRi board with a Strix GTX980 GPUs. The
CPUs are dual Intel Xeon E5-2630v3.  The CPU's do not  have built in
graphics but there is a video source on the mainboard. A ASPEED AST2400
BMC. It is the crappy AST2400 that I am using for the host video.

When I leave this facility the owners of this machine plan on later
dropping in a 2ed identical GTX980 GPU for passthough. Hopefully Alex's
vfio-pci-override-vga.sh can deal with that.

The host machine is using BIOS not UEFI to boot. The guest is using
libvirt, EDK2, qemu2.5, virt-manager and Linux 4.1.6 on Debian testing. The
single Windows10 guest and GPU works flawless.

The problem

The AST2400 video chip sucks. I would like to drop in a cheapo Nvidia GF210
to deal with the host graphics. This is not a EFI GPU but the host is using
BIOS so I would think this is not an issue. I instruct BIOS to use external
video. The GTX980 is being bound to vfio-pci at init-top or as early as
possible.

Unfortunately I am not able to get any video out. It is as if both GPU's
want to be boot-vga. I was informed in IRC that you must use a GeForce
GTX980 as the boot GPU. Is that true?