[vfio-users] Checking for EFI and general questions

Felix Mayr fm.mayr at tum.de
Fri Nov 20 22:49:33 UTC 2015

General things to add: if you get a new computer, don't bother with
using your Geforce 210 (which you can't anyway if you're not using
Haswell-E). And buy a motherboard which includes Displayport (=ready for
4k), today buying a GPU for better 2D graphics (which most probably
Linux will be + some moderate WebGL maybe) just isn't worth it anymore
(watch out for the small, single slot cards with DP – they aren't there
(for reasonable prices)) and if you upgrade your monitor one day it's
nice if you still get 60Hz ;) [for Haswell (if you still buy that by
christmas) the MSI B85M-G43 worked well for me, for Skylake I'd try to
get the Fujitsu board with 2 Displayports :) (care because there will be
not much enduser support)].
If you are reasonably experienced with the CLI-environment and your
distribution, I think the vfio-blogspot tutorial is more or less
step-by-step (if your board and gpu have no dealbreaking UEFI bugs),
additionally I can recommend this guide:
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-setup-a-gaming-virtual-machine-with-gpu-passthrough-qemu-kvm-libvirt-and-vfio.1371980/
[it deals with other things you want to setup like audio (if you browse
the web/hear music with Linux) – basically you can use a) HDMI on
monitor + its analog output, b) a USB soundcard (glitched with me) or
the onboard audio with pci-passthrough  or c) a systemwide pulseaudio
instance (connecting to your local instance is hard because kvm won't
really read any config files)] or this one in the german debian forum:
https://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=155672 (Jens
Zimmermann sounds too german ;)).