[vfio-users] USB enumeration (uPD720201)

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Sat Nov 28 03:42:21 UTC 2015

On November 28, 2015 at 03:01:23, Brett Foster (fosterb at edgeandvertex.org) wrote:
Hi,

I have a uPD720201 USB 3.0 controller card installed and mapped to my VM. Many devices work fine, however a number of devices fail to enumerate. For example, I have tried 4 different USB hubs (2 and 3). Some flash/disk drives work while others don't. My USB CAN/LIN USB adapter doesn't work. Some devices are USB 3. Some are USB 2.

I've never seen this kind of behaviour before. Does anybody have experience with this controller?

Brett
Hi Brett,

I have a Renesas card with 4 port of USB 3.0 which I think the same with yours. This is my lspci -k output for my USB 3.0 card:

08:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720201 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)

	Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

	Kernel modules: xhci_pci

I have it passed through to my Windows 10 guest, with a USB tree something like this:

	Renesas uPD720201 USB 3.0 Card

	|— Logitech Gamepad F510

	|— Dell U2312HM monitor USB 2.0 hub

	|— Canon LiDE 220 scanner

	|— Pluggable USB 2.0 switch

	   |— Toshiba USB 2.0 hub

	      |— Logitech G502 mouse

	      |— Filco Ninja keyboard

The only troublesome part is the Toshiba USB 2.0 hub, sometimes it fails. And I usually remedy it with fully power off the machine (turn of the PSU switch) for a while and after that it enumerates normal again. Does your card comes with a molex powered port? Just in case you haven’t done so, have you plugged it with a molex?

--
Okky Hendriansyah