[vfio-users] Passthrough VGA on first slot

Blank Field ihatethisfield at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 21:26:15 UTC 2015

To answer your last question you must examine your dmesg.

Don't worry, on a system level it is possible to eject any device in
windows. I've seen a hardware platform that could eject one of cpu's cores
and system boot drive too. As in Linux, when you do that either nothing
happens or nothing good happens.

I personally would test if your GPU really needs the full pci-e 3.0
bandwidth. I mean, when you got it running, maybe it lags due to msi, cpu
latency issues or something else?
Because HDMI audio stuttering problem points me directly to alex's blog
post about message signalled interrupts.
And yeah, if you could switch the primary GPU the gigabyte way - that would
solve your initial problem. So consider updating your firmware...
Both Seabios and OVMF.
Turn on/off the machine? I did tried restarting it sometimes...
Attaching an QXL video I can see NVIDIA driver with the classic 43 error,
but I don't thing of it being qemu fault as when vga is in slot2 this
doesn't happen.
If I disable nvidia device and reenable it, it goes back to error 43.
Weird observation, I can eject the GTX780, and the SCSI drivers in Windows
eject tray icon....
For one last test, I uninstalled the drive in devmgmt, turned off the
machine, turned it on without QXL, waited a long time to IDK, maybe Windows
to reinstall the GPU, called "system_powerdown", ran it again in hope, but
none.

Also, should my GPU still be the "target" of vga_arbiter?
If I'm using 'options vfio-pci ids=' should I also try pci-stub?