[vfio-users] Laptop Feasibility Query - Dell XPS 15 9550

Ethan Schoonover es at ethanschoonover.com
Sat Oct 10 16:13:19 UTC 2015

I've been meaning to build or buy a gpu passthrough capable system for a
while and would like to get some advice on whether the new Dell XPS-15
(9550) laptop is likely to support this.

The specs are here: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd .
Relevantly, the new XPS-15 comes with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M which I'd
be using as the passthrough GPU for a windows VM running on an Arch host
(which would thus be using Intel graphics). Additionally, it's a skylake
mobile cpu and according to the Intel site does have vt-d support.

I've reviewed the spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LnGpTrXalwGVNy0PWJDURhyxa3sgqkGXmvNCIvIMenk/edit#gid=2
and
find that there are some working configurations with mobile nvidia GPUs, so
I'm assuming that this is in the realm of possibility.

I know it's impossible to say without hardware in hand, but do you think
it's likely that the new Dell unit will (potentially) support my desired
GPU passthrough? Are there any obvious show stoppers you can imagine?

I know this is a broad, vfio-noob type question. I do appreciate any advice!

-Ethan Schoonover