[vfio-users] How to choose a compatible motherboard?

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:50:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Corey Larson <corey at eatrunco.de> wrote:

> I am in a position where I can do a new build with this technology in
> mind. How do I go about picking a motherboard that will have the best
> compatibility to do vfio?
>
> Currently, my plan is to use this board:
> https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H170-PRO-GAMING/specifications/. I
> plan to add an additional GPU (NVidia GTX 960) for the guest, and use
> the integrated Intel graphics to drive Linux. I also plan to make use of
> OVMF to avoid the Intel VGA arbitration patch.
>
> I appreciate any information you can share with me to help guide me!

Core processors with Skylake are about the worst choice right now due to
lack of ACS in the processor and ACS in the PCH root ports indicating a
lack of isolation.  Plus all the onboard I/O functions are intermixed with
motherboard components, so even assigning the onboard NIC, audio, or USB is
troublesome.  Pretty much you'd need to use the ACS override patch for the
foreseeable future with Skylake.

I provide recommendations in my blog:

http://vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-1-hardware.html