[vfio-users] How to choose a compatible motherboard?

Nick Sukharev nicksukharev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 20:14:23 UTC 2015

I had this issue with my 1st PCIE slot. Three steps helped:
1) disabling radeon driver by creating /etc/modprobe.d/blacklistradeon.conf
with a single line
blacklist radeon
2) specifying GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset vga=normal video=vesafb:off"
in /etc/default/grub
3) Using "pure" OVMF.
I am pretty sure steps 1 and 3 are also required for secondary slots on my
MB unless I want to use just one non-gpu slot for gpu, then it works with
seabios.
I still get this in dmesg:
vfio-pci 0000:03:00.0: Invalid ROM contents
but no issues because of that.

I was trying to make all PCIE slots available for passthrough, if that is
not required some old NVidia in the 1st slot and a radeon in the 2nd (or
vice versa) should be easier. With 1,2,3 I can go completely "headless" in
the sense that I am using USB graphhics on that machine for host.
Also, Haswell i7-5820K works perfectly for x99 socket 2011-3, no need to go
for a Xenon. I doubt you can get 6 core Xenon for a comparable price.