[vfio-users] GTX 770 & GTX 960 for multiple virtual systems

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 20:12:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Alex Holst <a at mongers.org> wrote:

> Quoting Alex Williamson (alex.l.williamson at gmail.com):
> > That should be new enough, but virt-manager is only going to give you the
> > option of selecting UEFI on the customization if it can find OVMF images.
> > Make sure you have them installed and if it still can't find them, add it
> > to the nvram section of /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf
>
> Thanks, I found out about the OVMF package for Ubuntu and added the
> paths to qemu.conf.
>
> I am able to start this virtual guest, but there is still no sign the
> display try to init.
>
> In part 4 of your guide you don't add the PCI pass-through devices until
> the very end (after OS install). That shouldn't be needed, should it?
>
> Can you spot anything wrong with this guest, or provide any other hints
> as to where I should look?

Did you check whether the cards include UEFI support in the ROM?  It's sad
that vendors are shipping cards these days without it, but that's the first
thing to test.  There's an article on my blog how to do that.  Also make
sure you're not getting errors reading the ROM, which should be evident in
dmesg when you start the VM.  You'll eventually need to do something about
all the hyper-v stuff in your xml for an nvidia card, but it shouldn't hurt
until you install the nvidia driver and start seeing code 43 errors.  As
for not attaching the GPU until the end, I just find it easier to setup the
VM w/o it initially, for one, I don't need to be sitting in front of the
system to run through the installer and updates.