[vfio-users] Questions for all who have gotten this to work

Lucas Neves lcneves at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 12:31:24 UTC 2015

Distro: Ubuntu 15.04 x86_64

Kernel: 3.18, recompiled with the "Enable overrides for missing ACS
capabilities" patch by Alex Williamson. I've tried the 4.1 kernel with this
patch and it worked, but it broke an unrelated problem that my Nvidia card
has with running on nouveau on Linux, so I moved back to the 3.18 kernel.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k, GPU: AMD Radeon r9 285 (Tonga)

Online tutorials: mostly
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF , coupled
with a lot of info from Alex's blog.

How long: for about three months. I have moved from a dual-boot system with
Windows to KVM in the middle of playing GTA V, so I could compare the
performance of the VM versus a native system. The game ran smoothier in the
VM, since I bought a new Radeon to the VM, which slightly outperforms the
Geforce GTX 660 that I was using in the native Windows.

Although my system's performance and stability is very good, there are a
few small issues that I have not been able to solve yet before calling it
"stable". For one, I haven't been able to start QEMU for a second time
without having to reboot the host. Besides, recently I bought a USB sound
card (Creative Sound Blaster SB1240) to pass through the guest, so that I
could have a microphone, and it works, but with irritating crackling.

-- Lucas