[vfio-users] Physical vs virtual machine gaming performance comparison benchmarks

Jon Panozzo jonp at lime-technology.com
Sun Sep 6 09:50:15 UTC 2015

Hello vfio users!

A common question folks seem to have is what sort of performance they can
expect out of a VM for gaming as compared to that of a physical machine. My
company makes a linux-based OS that features the capabilities of a NAS and
a virtualization host using KVM, which has been tuned for maximum
compatibility with vfio GPU assignment.

In a recent blog post, I've shown benchmark testing results in comparing a
physical machine to a virtual one using the same hardware and with varying
VM configurations. I even put together a video clip showing a side by side
comparison of the benchmarks as they ran in real time, allowing you to
visually see the difference in each test. Thought this might be of interest
to some of you, do here's the link:

http://lime-technology.com/gaming-on-a-nas-you-better-believe-it/

Tl;Dr:  I achieved up to 98% of bare metal.

Regards,

Jonathan Panozzo
Lime Technology, Inc.