[vfio-users] Qemu-KVM: cannot allocate more than 3072mb of ram

Josh Janssen jsh.janssen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 08:16:42 UTC 2015

I'm very to new posting on mailing lists (so new this is a first). Feel
free to point and laugh when inevitably break some ancient mailing list
rule :) . Hopefully this is the right place, was going to post in the Arch
thread, but it's been closed and this appears to be the replacement?

I cannot be sure where the issue lies, my current windows 8.1 VM runs fine
and passes though the gpu as expected when i use -m 3072 (boots in a few
seconds). if i allocate for example -m 4098 (or anything higher than 3072)
the system takes a good part of 5 minutes to boot while using 100% of CPU.

It happens on all windows versions (7-10).

I'm not exactly sure what logs are relevant, i'm seeing this in dmesg:
"kvm: zapping shadow pages for mmio generation wraparound"

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

My Setup:

MB: Asus m5a99x evo v1
CPU: FX-8320
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX570 (host)
GPU: AMD r9 290 (guest via vfio-pci)

lspci -nn | grep -iP "radeon|nvidia":

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce
GTX 570] [10de:1081] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 High Definition Audio
Controller [10de:0e09] (rev a1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290] [1002:67b1]

uname -r:

OS: Arch (uname -r 4.2.0-3-ARCH)

qemu-system-x86_64 --version:

QEMU emulator version 2.4.50