[vfio-users] Building New System - Start Now Or Wait

Will Marler will at wmarler.com
Tue Sep 8 04:21:20 UTC 2015

The next iteration of hardware will always make the current iteration look
bad.

But this will never stop -- there will always be n+1. And you will *always* be
in the position of saying "well ... I could buy n now, but I could wait
until n+1 in some months... I should wait," even when n becomes n+1.

A better question to ask is "what if I buy n-1 now... would I be happy?"
Because that is the position you will be in when "the next big thing" is
released.

"Is there a reason" -- there is always a reason. But it's only a question
you can answer. For me, someone who wishlists games on Steam and buys them
when they are 75% (or more) off, and often only if they have a Linux
version (even if I'm playing them on Windows ...), n-1 hardware is always
acceptable (provided that it works with VGA passthrough ;-). For you
though, this might not be the case. You might have more money, more time to
spend, more interest in playing the just-released games... yadda yadda.