[vfio-users] Consolidated VFIO site

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 02:19:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Abdulla Bubshait <darkstego at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I had mentioned earlier that it would be nice to have some sort of
> hardware DB that shows the VFIO compatibility and I am wondering if there
> is interest in taking this idea further.
>
> I am thankful for aw's blog, but beyond that getting information about
> VFIO is not that straight forward. The arch forum is archived and many
> people seem to be having difficulty finding it. Hardware data is stored on
> unmaintained spreadsheet not everyone knows about, and there might be
> people who shy away from mailing lists.
>
> The idea I had was one sight that would provide several things.
>

>    - Forum where people could seek VFIO help.
>    - How Tos for getting VFIO running
>    - HW DB where people can post their configurations and success/problems
>    - Information on how to get the latest qemu/libvirt on the most
>    popular Linux distros
>
> There are several other ideas, but in general it is a one stop shop for
> all things VFIO that will cater to a wide audience.
>
> I am willing to donate some of my time and resources into trying to get
> this up and running, but I know I cannot do this alone. So I am asking if
> there is interest in such a concept. I admit that I do not really know the
> size of the VFIO community or how much demand there is for something like
> this. But I am throwing this out there so that if there is interest we
> could hopefully get the ball rolling on this.

Things I can contribute:

 - I own the vfio project on github.com (https://github.com/vfio), I
understand wikis can be created on the vfio.github.io project pages, maybe
more
 - I own vfio.org and vfio.net

Things I'm not willing to do - sysadmin or host a web site

This is why I've relied on blogger and redhat to host things so far.  If we
can do something useful with the github project page, propose it to me and
I can add you as a member.  I'm willing to point the vfio urls somewhere if
there's a legitimate proposal.  Since I announced this mailing list, just
shy of a month ago, we have over 100 subscribers.  Personally I've found
this mailing list to be a sufficient and preferable replacement for the
archlinux forums, but I know that mailing lists are a strange and wondrous
artifact of the internet for many of you (as evidenced by all the
top-posting).  I've had a request to register the list with Gmame for
archival purpose, I intend to do that.  If there's anything else I can help
with, let me know.  Thanks,

Alex