[vfio-users] GPU instance ID not persistent on guest restart

Abdulla Bubshait darkstego at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:54:18 UTC 2015

I can get my GPU to work well once per host reboot cycle. It would appear
on subsequent guest reboots the GPU instance ID changes slightly.

This is what I get on my windows system:
Working
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7300&SUBSYS_0B361002&REV_C8\
On Reboot
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7300&SUBSYS_0B361002&REV_00\

This results in the GPU not being detected as compatible by the driver and
defaults back to the microsoft display driver. That means the GPU is
detected properly only once per host reboot (or suspend). On subsequent
qemu restarts the GPU appears as an unsupported A-series APU, instead of an
r9 Fury.

Is there something that could be done to keep the GPU persistent across
guest reboots?