[vfio-users] Performance problem with i5 3330

francesco dicarlo evilsephiroth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 07:59:45 UTC 2015

Hi to all, this is my current hardware:

Cpu: I5 3330
Ram: 12GB DDR3
HD: 3 x 4TB(NAS) + 1x120GB (Ubuntu 14.04)
GPU:Nvidia gtx 970 directCu mini
DVB-S :Dvb-Sky S952 pci express

I'm currently using my host for these operations:
-Rtorrent + filebot + irssi + Rutorrent
- Kodi 14 Client
- Vdr Server
- Mysql server for Kodi central repository
- NFS server for exposing my nas drives
- Some cron jobs to update kodi repository

Usually, cpu usage stays 10 - 15% also with kodi reproducing media with ram
almost free (890MB on 12GB)

I've got a windows 8.1 OVMF virtual machine. No problem with 970
passthrough.
Removed hyperV enlightenments,kvm=off with latest nvidia drivers.

Assigned 3vcpus pinning 0-2 with virt-manager ui.
Assigned a raw image of 100GB for testing. Virtio for disk and network.
There's a bridge br0 on the host machine to provide connectivity.
Using huge pages also.
Latest ovmf from git.

I use it as a steam streaming server by using only wired ethernet gigabit.

My problem is only performance.

When I fire up a game,qemu process use 90% of 3 cpus and I have framerate
by 15 20 fps while gaming on bare metal goes always at 60fps. Tried with
various games(Borderlands,KOF 13, Child of Light). Client is at 90% cpu.

I used in the past proxmox for my kvm needs with a i5 3470 and performance
was much more(60 fps) that with kvm-qemu on my current distro.
I can't think that there's so much difference between i5 3330 and i5 3470.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm willing to post configuration or any
other file that you need to do an analysis.

The last thing that I'm going to do is to use a empty installation of
Ubuntu with nothing installed aside kvm packages to see performance...