[vfio-users] Windows 10 guest refuses to boot when passed my NVIDIA graphics card

Jasen Borisov tajjada at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 22:24:17 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 1:14 AM, Alex Williamson <
alex.l.williamson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Jasen Borisov <tajjada at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:59 AM, Alex Williamson <
>> alex.l.williamson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What if you downgrade to kernel 4.1?
>>>

>> As I said, I want to run Windows inside the VM, not Linux. I am just
>> testing with Linux to see if my VFIO setup is working. I am doing this
>> because troubleshooting with Linux is a lot easier (due to information from
>> things like dmesg) than with Windows. Once I know that VFIO is working fine
>> on my system, I will set up a Windows guest. Hence, kernel
>> regressions/bugs/features(?) in 4.2 that are not present in 4.1 are not
>> something I particularly care about. That said, if downgrading to linux 4.1
>> (not easy, because I was booting Linux from a live iso ... would have to
>> either install or get an older live iso to do that) would help me figure
>> out why my VM is slow and would provide worthwhile information, I would be
>> happy to do it. By now, I have wasted a lot more time waiting for the slow
>> VM to boot than it would take me to install Linux.
>>

> I'm asking about downgrading the *host* to v4.1.

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I could do that. I will try to reboot with
"kvm.ignore_msrs=1" in my kernel cmdline first, and then try booting 4.1.

>>> The MTRR issue we've been battling generally resolves itself and the VM
>>> runs at full speed once passed firmware.  I'll see if I can make my box act
>>> this poorly.  Running 8 vCPUs on your system is surely not helping
>>> performance, but this sounds like orders of magnitude worse than that.
>>>

>> Do you mean that having fewer vCPUs will somehow be better for
>> performance? That seems counterintuitive ... I thought otherwise....
>>
>> Well, my physical CPU has 8 physical cores with hyperthreading, so 16
>> logical cores. I thought it would make sense to give half of that to the VM
>> and have the rest available for the host. By saying that it is "not helping
>> performance", do you mean that there is some sort of significant overhead
>> involved with having more vCPUs?
>>

> The XML I see in the first post is using 16 vCPU, leaving none for the
> host.

I reduced that to 8 vCPU before trying to run Arch Linux, because I thought
it would be more logical, as I explained above. Sorry for not mentioning
that change in my VM configuration. I also reduced the memory to 4GB,
because I thought that allocating so much memory might have had something
to do with it, but it did not seem to make a difference, so I will change
it back to 12GB as I had before, once Windows is working.