[vfio-users] VFIO PCI passthrough problems booting VM

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 13:09:27 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 5:57 AM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for this info. When you say "*give up* use of the NICs at 05:00.x
> by binding them to either pci-stub or vfio-pci" does that mean that the
> NICs won't work any more?

It means you can't use the NIC in the host, IOMMU groups cannot be split
between host and guest.  You can use them in the guest or just sequester
them with pci-stub.

> If they will still work and it will allow me to have the DVB-T card in an
> IOMMU group of it's own that sounds like a good solution. Does it matter
> whether I bind them to pci-stub or vfio-pci - are there implications to
> binding to one rather than the other?

Using vfio-pci means that you can expose the device to the guest (or not),
using pci-stub prevents exposing the device to the guest.

> Also, do I achieve the binding by adding something like this to
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX?
> pci-stub.ids=0e11:00db

These are subsystem vendor and device ID, you need 8086:1010.  You can also
just dynamically unbind these from the host driver with virsh
nodedev-detach.