[vfio-users] KVM + QEMU + GPU passthrough (Windows7 Guest)

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 14:45:56 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 8:05 AM, José Ramón Muñoz <koalinux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 September 2015 23:24:08 you wrote:
> > On Sep 22, 2015 11:18 PM, "Blank Field" <ihatethisfield at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > people.redhat.com/~lersek/ovmf-whitepaper-c770f8c.txt
> > >
> > > Windows 7 won't output anything with ovmf until you install the
> drivers.
> > > I'd recommend either using VGA or using a more modern OS.
> >
> > Additionally, don't use x-vga=on with ovmf and don't use ioh3420 with
> 440fx.
>
>         Hi,
>
>         Is this right? I've been running 440fx with ioh3420 for so long,
> and when
> I just tried to drop it, the guest didn't initiate the display.

Then you're doing it wrong.  440fx is a conventional PCI chipset, ioh3420
is a PCI-express root port.  Root ports live on a root complex, 440fx is
not such a thing.  QEMU allows you to duct tape these components together,
but not all combinations necessarily make sense and this is certainly a
case of something you wouldn't find on real hardware.