[vfio-users] Guest does not boot OS with GPU passed through, stuck at TianoCore boot splash

Stefan Seil stefan.seil at gmx.net
Tue Apr 12 18:42:28 UTC 2016

As far as I can tell, the other PCI device is the HDMI audio controller
of the graphics card. It is listed as a seperate PCI device and I
assigned it to the VM, too.
I haven't explicitly added any USB devices, although it seems like there
are some per default. I have linked the respective domain XMLs below.
I have played around with the configuration a bit and removed the rom
file for the HDMI audio controller of the graphics card (previously I
had given it the same rom file as the one I passed to the GPU) and now
the VM actually does not stop at the TianoCore logo anymore. The monitor
now displays the GRUB menu and turns black after choosing the first boot
entry. This is the new log now: http://pastebin.com/2dxBqP6h

I have also configured the VM with emulated graphics using QXL (just the
standard configuration you get with the setup wizard). If I try to boot
with the GPU passed through in addition to having the emulated graphics,
I can see it progressing further on the emulated display. It looks like
it starts booting the OS and then stops at this line:

intel_rapl: no valid rapl domains found in package 0

I don't see any of that on the monitor connected to the graphics card,
though.

These are the two domain XMLs now:
Without additional emulated graphics: http://pastebin.com/hBTdP6Sq
With additional emulated graphics: http://pastebin.com/Wm3E23nW