[vfio-users] [FEEDBACK NEEDED] Rewriting the Arch wiki article

Nicolas Roy-Renaud nicolas.roy-renaud.1 at ens.etsmtl.ca
Tue Apr 12 21:39:18 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-12 16:11, Garland Key wrote:
> Please add what to do if both of your gpus are identical.  This is an
> issue that was a huge headache for me. I actually gave up and went to
> fedora over it.  I missed Arch after two weeks and went back.  I was
> able to get it to work in fedora on the first go.  I haven't given it
> another go just yet. I'll report back in a few days as I'll be trying
> it again.
 From what I've gathered, it's mostly about using a stript to bind the
GPUs you want to vfio-pci using the driver_override mecanism. Is that
correct?

On 2016-04-12 17:24, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Bronek Kozicki <brok at spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>     2. does PCI bridge have to be in a separate IOMMU group than
>     passed-through device?
>

> No.  Blank is mostly correct on this, newer kernel remove the pcieport
> driver test and presumes any driver attached to a bridge device is ok.
Really? From what I understood reading your IOMMU article, plus from the
issues I had getting my own GPU to work on the CPU-based PCIe slot on my
E3-1200, I thought having a PCIe root port grouped with a PCI device
made the GPU unsuited for passthrougs. What reccomendations should I
give here
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Plugging_your_guest_GPU_in_an_unisolated_CPU-based_PCIe_slot>,
then?