[vfio-users] [FEEDBACK NEEDED] Rewriting the Arch wiki article

Will Marler will at wmarler.com
Wed Apr 13 16:05:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Ivan Volosyuk <ivan.volosyuk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Windows specific sound tweaks can be useful (audio crackles is a pain) -
> enable MSI as per Alex blog. Might be out of scope for the article though.

Oh this is a great idea. I don't think it's out of scope, in fact quite the
opposite. I think it belongs in the "Troubleshooting" part, as some people
will have problems here and others won't.

Which also reminds me: in the "Troubleshooting" section I think it is worth
mentioning that a $10 or $15 PCI USB card that is to be passed through to
the guest can be a big headache saver. It's maybe a "workaround" and not a
"solution," but it's definitely something that might not occur to people,
and is worth mentioning. USB passthrough works really well most of the
time, but in some cases it doesn't; I have a Logitech mouse, for example,
that required a firmware update. The Logitech software running in the
Windows guest said "unplug & re-plug the mouse to initiate the firmware
update." No amount of plugging/unplugging, disabling/re-enabling
passthrough would get the right signals sent to the guest to trigger the
firmware update. Passing through the PCI USB card though, and
plugging/unplugging the mouse from there worked without issue. Plugging in
USB headphones to the passed-through PCI card fixed audio problems that
were present when passing the headphones through via USB passthrough too.