[vfio-users] Arch user following http://vfio.blogspot.com instructions [please help]

Garland Key david.garland.key at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 03:00:30 UTC 2016

Hey there,

1. I followed the instructions listed on this blog (http://vfio.blogspot.com)
and got my current machine to run a windows 10 vm with pci passthrough
perfectly.  I've now switched back to Arch (my default OS) and want to try
to adapt these instructions now that I know it will work.

2. I have 2 identical GPUs, so I have to follow the special instructions
outlined in
https://vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-3-host.html.
Again, this worked on Fedora, so to my knowledge it should work on Arch too.

3. Please do not refer me to the outdated Arch forums with 680+ posts that
has now been closed.  That thread should be deleted as it is unwieldy and
useless. I have two Nvidia GTX 970s, but again, it worked on Fedora 23. I'm
throwing this out there due to other advice that I have been given in the
past.

4. Dracut isn't used in Arch but mkinitcpio is. You're asked to insert
add_drivers+="vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd" in:
/etc/dracut.conf.d/local.conf.

Should I instead add MODULES="vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd"
to mkinitcpio.conf?

5. Farther down, I'm supposed to insert
install_items+="/sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh /usr/bin/find
/usr/bin/dirname" in: /etc/dracut.conf.d/local.conf.

Should I instead add install_items+="/sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh
/usr/bin/find /usr/bin/dirname" to /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Garland Key