[vfio-users] Arch user following http://vfio.blogspot.com instructions [please help]

Okky Hendriansyah okky.htf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 03:41:16 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Garland Key <david.garland.key at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've figured everything out except for how to run the script during
> boot.  Adding, "BINARIES="/sbin/vfio-pci-override-vga.sh /usr/bin/find
> /usr/bin/dirname" to mkinitcpio isn't working.
>
> To my understanding, in Dracut, I'm supposed to add these files so
> that they're called and able to run before they would otherwise be
> loaded with the kernel.  Whatever the purpose, I was able to get this
> whole process to work on Fedora 23.  I'm not sure how to achieve this
> with mkinitcpio on Arch.
>
> If someone could just tell me how to enable this custom script and the
> two binaries find and dirname via mkinitcpio, it would solve the
> problem.  This is the same problem I was having before.  The wiki and
> google searches haven't been helpful at this point.  Maybe I just
> don't know enough about it to google the right phrases - not sure.

Hi Garland,

Though I had no identical GPUs, but I think I understand your issue. In my
Arch Linux setup I only put this MODULES line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:
MODULES="vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd"

I got a feeling that you need to put the find and dirname under BINARIES
but vfio-pci-override-vga.sh as a custom HOOKS script. I've never done this
before, so hopefully this forum link will be any use for your case [1]
(just the way mkinitcpio HOOOKS work)

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=208276

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah