[vfio-users] UEFI & virt-manager on Arch

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Fri Apr 15 11:09:22 UTC 2016

On 04/15/16 12:58, Philip Abernethy wrote:
> The upside to my, admittedly cludgy, solution is that it works without
> adding custom repos or installing half-assed AUR packages.
> You may want to consider explaining the situation to the maintainer of
> extra/ovmf and perhaps suggest a solution.
>
> Laszlo Ersek <lersek at redhat.com <mailto:lersek at redhat.com>> schrieb am
> Fr., 15. Apr. 2016 um 12:08 Uhr:
>
>     On 04/15/16 10:45, Philip Abernethy wrote:
>     > I'm using extra/ovmf on my machine and just had to add
>     >
>     > nvram = [
>     >    "/usr/share/ovmf/ovmf_x64.bin:/usr/share/ovmf/ovmf_x64.bin"
>     > ]

I am not an Arch Linux user, so -- while I am very fond of the Arch
Linux documentation! -- I would prefer if Arch Linux users talked to
their packagers.

Gerd's build script is publicly available, of course: either from the
src.rpm under <https://www.kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/>, or directly
from git: <https://www.kraxel.org/cgit/jenkins/edk2/tree/edk2.git.spec>.

So... I cannot say if ArchLinux actually ships the split files, and just
the above example was incorrect, *or* if ArchLinux doesn't even ship the
split files.

In the ArchLinux wiki,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Complete_example_for_QEMU_.28CLI-based.29_without_libvirtd

I saw pathnames like

  /usr/share/ovmf/x64/ovmf_code_x64.bin
  /usr/share/ovmf/x64/ovmf_vars_x64.bin

hence I assumed that ArchLinux was shipping the split files (and that
the example near the top was incorrect). I may have been wrong -- I
don't use Arch and don't know what Arch package provides what files.

Thanks
Laszlo