[vfio-users] input-linux first impressions

Ivan Volosyuk ivan.volosyuk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 14:07:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 12:35 AM Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Do, 2016-04-14 at 14:12 +0000, Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> > First of all it is pretty cool to be able to skip the synergy and
> > short-circuit multiple layers on the way of keyboard and mouse events.
> > It was pretty easy to setup once I found the right options:
> > EXTRA_ARGS+=" -object
> >
> input-linux,id=mouse1,evdev=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB-PS_2_Optical_Mouse-event-mouse"
> > EXTRA_ARGS+=" -object
> >
> input-linux,id=mouse3,evdev=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Razer_Razer_DeathAdder-event-mouse"
> > EXTRA_ARGS+=" -object
> >
> input-linux,id=kbd1,evdev=/dev/input/by-id/usb-0b38_0010-event-kbd,grab_all=on"
> > EXTRA_ARGS+=" -object
> >
> input-linux,id=kbd2,evdev=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Chicony_USB_Keyboard-event-kbd,grab_all=on"
> >

> > The was some rough edges as well. I stress-tested it playing Stacraft
> > 2 with a lot of mouse and keyboard events. Some of my keybindings
> > require 2 modifiers: e.g. ctrl-shift-r. The issues I found:
> > - It seems some modifiers sometimes was getting stuck, so I was
> > puzzled a few times when I couldn't select single unit (probably shift
> > was stuck). I have to press all modifiers to get it released.
> > - At some point mouse was ungrabbed and remained this way even I could
> > still toggle grab state for my keyboard.
>
> That could be because of the two keyboard devices.
>
> Does it happen with only one keyboard too?

Yes it does, single keyboard, single mouse.
Another point of data I have: xset r rate 200 100
- still mouse stopped responding after about 5 minutes in the game (about
250 input events per minute)
- I had some suspicious actions happening which I didn't made and my hand
was on the other side of keyboard (camera zoom, which is bound on mouse
wheel or page down key).

> Does it happen with two keyboards, but grab_all=on specified for only
> one of them?
>
> Why do you assign two keyboards in the first place?

I wanted to decide which keyboard I want to use in VM.