[vfio-users] Random find for the day ... audio workaround.

Bob Dawes xochipilli4 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 00:08:24 UTC 2016

I'd think this was off topic, but it seems to get mentioned every few
days and I accidentally fixed it to the greater extent by randomly doing
something else. The way the bug turned up it was bloody obvious and so
here's a workaround that ought to work for most, that should be
reasonably robust, takes no patching and no HDMI switching and is the
first bug I've ever seen actively commit suicide.

The crackling seems to come from two sources so obvious they are in my
syslog - when the regular poll triggers too early or too late and the
alsa driver attempts to read data but finds nothing or alternatively
when it loses some data out of the beginning of the buffer. Ticks tend
to queue up and not arrive sometimes as the context switch is not real
time and as the real data events have spin locks which jam up the fast
timekeeping poll and processes are all migrating cores because they're
delayed. Reducing jitter or increasing ticks will only reduce problem
magnitude whilst making it more frequent. The trick is to use a much
longer tick and to center it properly on alsa's own hyperactive polling
tick. For example .. using my 4.6 kernel:

First we need our clock tick which is blessedly easy to find if you look
in /proc. It can be many different things usually based on your sample
frequency and so you should look there if my generic 44.1khz setting
below doesn't fit.

more /proc/asound/timers
G0: system timer : 3333.333us (10000000 ticks)
P0-0-0: PCM playback 0-0-0 : SLAVE

I have a 3333.333us tick so it ticks roughly 300 times (1e06/3333.333) a
second which means when I randomly picked a tick rate of 50 to try and
see if alsa was giving me interrupt problems I found I had well behaved
audio despite my interrupt problems. I used the QEMU settings as below
.. passing through intel audio with a mixed mic/headphone codec (or
whatever else you prefer). If you use my settings it should just work
.... but you may need to check the clock you use is reliable:

export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=alsa QEMU_ALSA_DAC_SIZE_IN_USEC=0
QEMU_ALSA_DAC_BUFFER_SIZE=1024 QEMU_ALSA_DAC_PERIOD_SIZE=256
export QEMU_ALSA_ADC_SIZE_IN_USEC=0 QEMU_ALSA_ADC_BUFFER_SIZE=1024
QEMU_ALSA_ADC_PERIOD_SIZE=256
export QEMU_AUDIO_DAC_FIXED_SETTINGS=1
export QEMU_AUDIO_DAC_FIXED_FREQ=44100 QEMU_AUDIO_DAC_FIXED_FMT=S16
QEMU_AUDIO_ADC_FIXED_FREQ=44100 QEMU_AUDIO_ADC_FIXED_FMT=S16
export QEMU_AUDIO_DAC_TRY_POLL=1 QEMU_AUDIO_ADC_TRY_POLL=1
export QEMU_AUDIO_TIMER_PERIOD=50

This works because qemu is sampling a sampling process so some zero or
lost data are inevitable when sampling across boundaries and this gets
more likely the faster you sample plus it probably starts to distorts
alsa's own time keeping given it tends to run at very high priority on
the same data and is pushing the errors in my syslog. The best solution
is to use a much slower tick and a longer buffer so that alsa can catch
up when necessary or have a syslog tantrum with enough data buffered to
get over it. It's still a balancing act as the tick should be longer so
as to minimise the risk it will fall off either side but not so long it
makes for an unacceptable delay between cause and sound effect. Without
centring it will likely crackle but a centred ratio of 6 is 100%
flawless for me over 20 boots with sound in linux etc. etc. and should
be reasonably robust if your CPU does fast context switching or you turn
your local polling rate down from 1000 to 300 or 250. Importantly it
should be much more reliable .. burns a lot less CPU and introduces a
delay that will affect only those young enough to have "reaction times."
(you do get warned about it in the log though)

It could be turned into a patch - but I wasn't going to spoil the purity
of the experience by looking at actual code and as this mail represents
the sum total of what I know about alsa and it's a cowboy solution it
should be tested on varying hardware before being bolted onto qemu.
You'll notice that it is mostly derived from one empirical sample point
and prior experience of the youthful folly of trying to learn practical
DSP from a maths book.