[vfio-users] Looking for performance tips, qemu machine type and pci/pcie-root questionning?

Ivan Volosyuk ivan.volosyuk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 07:02:27 UTC 2016

I also use my Linux for development, but I found out that half of my CPU
cores is sufficient for my tasks, that's why I dedicated half to Windows
virtual machine.
This is my untrusted sandbox for gamings only. I don't have my Google
account at it, so to use Google Music I run it on host, that's why I need
pulseaudio for mixing.

I also have a hacked up version for unloading CPUs using /cpusets, so that
I can still recompile my system while playing games (in ideal world). I
don't use libvirt, instead I run qemu directly:
 with -mem-path /home/vm-images/hugepages (and some hacks to free up
required ammount from host memory)
All tasks moved away from dedicated cores using cpusets, than qemu tasks
assigned to that cores, than I assign qemu vcores using:
        echo "info cpus" | nc -q 1 localhost 1234| head -n 6 | tail -n 4 |
cut -d= -f3 | tr -d '\r' | while read t
        do
            echo taskset -pc $i $t
            taskset -pc $i $t
            let i++
        done

Not sure how people switch keyboard input between host and VM, I use
synergy hotkeys for that:

.synergy.conf:
section: options
    mousebutton(4) = mousebutton(4)
    mousebutton(5) = mousebutton(5)
    mousebutton(6) =  mousebutton(4)
    mousebutton(7) =  mousebutton(5)
    mousebutton(8) =  mousebutton(4)
    mousebutton(9) =  mousebutton(5)
    mousebutton(10) =  mousebutton(4)
    mousebutton(11) =  mousebutton(5)
    # nothing is more permanent than temporary solution
    keystroke(F11) = switchToScreen(vm)
    keystroke(F12) = switchToScreen(pc)

I don't want a native install anymore, because qcow2 snaphoting feature is
really awesome. I can sacrifice some HDD performance for qcow2 support
especially if I gain by using Linux bcache which benefits both Linux and
Windows VM.
--
Regards,
Ivan