[vfio-users] Fedora 23 ACS Patch

thibaut noah thibaut.noah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 08:02:36 UTC 2016

> Doesn't patch support syntax like patch -p1 filename.patch?
> Does vanilla linux really can do stuff like make rpm? If so, since when?

I think that is the syntax i use back then.
What do you mean by vanilla linux? You're talking about the kernel or the
distrib gnu/linux in general?
Rpm is supported by the majority of the distros if i remember correctly.

> On Apr 18, 2016 4:18 AM, "Brett Peckinpaugh" <erylflynn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for any help in advance.
>>
>> I am trying to create a patched kernel for Fedora 23.  I have downloaded
>> from the Kernel archive the 4.5.1 source files.  I can compile to rpm,
>> install and run from this source. When I attempt to patch I fail at
>> different steps based on which ACS patch I try.
>>
>> I compile by the following steps.
>> make menuconfig
>> make rpm
>>
>> To patch:
>> make menuconfig
>> cat pathtofile/acs_patch.diff | patch -p1
>> make rpm
>>
>> Depending on the ACS patch, sometimes it fails at the cat step, sometimes
>> it fails at the make rpm step.
>>
>> First, is what I am doing on the right track? If not is there a guide to
>> do this? If I am on the right track, which ACS patch should I use, and if I
>> run into issues what should I do or look for?  I can't seem to locate logs
>> for when it fails to help me trouble shoot what is wrong.

Why do you cat the patch?
You might not have the right version for your kernel, either try the one
from the linux-vfio repo from arch,
or just put the modifications in the correct file by hand and be done with
it.
The patch command should return you something if you had errors during the
patching.