[vfio-users] Fedora 23 ACS Patch

Zycorax Tokoroa zycorax at phoxden.xyz
Mon Apr 18 09:22:24 UTC 2016

> <mailto:ihatethisfield at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Doesn't patch support syntax like patch -p1 filename.patch?
>     Does vanilla linux really can do stuff like make rpm? If so, since when?
>
> I think that is the syntax i use back then.
> What do you mean by vanilla linux? You're talking about the kernel or
> the distrib gnu/linux in general?
> Rpm is supported by the majority of the distros if i remember correctly.
He likely refers to a method to build a rpm directly and solely trough
the kernel's makefile. 'make rpm-pkg' is possible since as far as I can
remember, along with 'make deb-pkg'

>     On Apr 18, 2016 4:18 AM, "Brett Peckinpaugh" <erylflynn at gmail.com
>     <mailto:erylflynn at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Thanks for any help in advance.
>
>         I am trying to create a patched kernel for Fedora 23.  I have
>         downloaded from the Kernel archive the 4.5.1 source files.  I
>         can compile to rpm, install and run from this source. When I
>         attempt to patch I fail at different steps based on which ACS
>         patch I try.
>
>         I compile by the following steps.
>         make menuconfig
>         make rpm
>
>         To patch:
>         make menuconfig
>         cat pathtofile/acs_patch.diff | patch -p1
>         make rpm
>
>         Depending on the ACS patch, sometimes it fails at the cat step,
>         sometimes it fails at the make rpm step.
'patch' has an '-i' argument to take a file as input - not that cat'ing
is wrong, both methods work.
You should look at what exact errors you get to have proper help, errors
in patching usually means you are using incompatible versions of the
patch and the kernel together, where the code has changed enough to
confuse patch. As it has been told, look for a patch that's appropriate
to your kernel version. Errors during the building of the kernel need
more detail to be understood

 Zycorax Tokoroa