[vfio-users] VFIO hard instant host reboot after VM start with Qualcomm Atheros AR9580

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 00:24:17 UTC 2016

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 01:43:45 +0200
Maik Broemme <mbroemme at libmpq.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> whenever I try to start a KVM VM with 'Qualcomm Atheros AR9580 Wireless
> Network Adapter' assigned it will immediately reboot the host. I've tried
> already a couple of things:
>
> 1. Played with module parameters.
>
>    vfio_pci nointxmask=1
>    vfio_iommu_type1vfio_iommu_type1 disable_hugepages=1
>
> 2. Tried kernel 4.4, 4.6 and 4.8rc1.r2.g574673c2
>
> 3. Tried all different PCIe slots in the system. It is a dual socket
>    system with 6 PCIe slots, where 3 are connected to CPU1 and 3 to
>    CPU2.
>
> I don't have any clue what the root cause could be. I have tried another
> Wireless card which works fine with VFIO passthrough. It was some old
> D-Link PCIe model but with different chipset.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated to narrow down the problem.

Probably needs to be added to the broken bus reset list with the other
Atheros devices, see:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=c3e59ee4e76686b0c84ca8faa1011d10cd4ca1b8

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=9ac0108c2bac3f1d0255f64fb89fc27e71131b24