[vfio-users] Troubleshooting PCI Pass-through

Nicolas Roy-Renaud nicolas.roy-renaud.1 at ens.etsmtl.ca
Sun Aug 14 02:21:29 UTC 2016

Make sure to quote what's already been said next time. Makes it more
conveinient to follow.

> It's pretty well guaranteed that a 500 series GeForce does not support
> UEFI.  AFAIK, there's not a terribly high success rate with these cards
> either.  The 600 series are generally what I consider the bottom end of
> working reasonably well.  Otherwise there's not really enough
> information in your report to provide any specific advice.  Thanks,
>
> Alex
I don't think there's much to report, unfortunately.

The problem is that VFIO passthroughs are made possible by a number of
features and protocols introduced in the UEFI spec, which wasn't really
needed on GPUs or anywhere back in 2010, when the GTX 500 series was
released. When Windows 8 introduced secure boot, UEFI support accross
the board became a requirement for most OEM PCs, so the vast majority of
the hardware relased after that point supports it. Since secure boot had
been making the news for a few months before that, I'm guessing the
hardware manufacturers had also been given the heads up, so a number of
600 series card probably support it as well, like Alex said. Don't quote
me on that, though, I'm looking things up as I go.

If you really want to be sure on whether or not your GPU is UEFI
compatible and you've already tried looking up the exact model on
TechPowerup's database
<https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=&model=GTX+570&interface=&memType=&memSize=>
(it's not perfect, everything listed for my card says it's not EFI
compatible), see if you can boot on a version of windows with EFI
support (Windows 7+). If GPU-Z
<https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/> detects your BIOS
as UEFI compatible
<https://hardforum.com/proxy/CKbSwA7n6I5vsWEN4M2hTs55Y2dEZAJiZ36gQuBpqPdTuA%3D%3D/image.png>,
then you're in luck, but I wouldn't count on it.

The point is, that card most probably won't work as a guest card. You
could use it on the host, but you'd have to get a new card for the
actual passthrough.

-Nicolas