[vfio-users] Problem with vfio-pci device type and memory > 10G (or 8G)

Anjali Kulkarni anjali at juniper.net
Tue Dec 13 22:58:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am observing that with memory of 10G or 12G, with a vfio-pci device type, qemu hangs and system becomes slow and sluggish, and eventually you need to kill the hung qemu process which never returns.
For eg.:

/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -drive if=ide,file=/home/me/myimage.img --enable-kvm -m 12288 -smp 2,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=2 -device vfio-pci,host=03:10.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6 -nographic

Whereas with 8G or less of memory, it works fine.

If I remove -device vfio-pci..., everything works fine.

Any idea if someone has seen this issue or how to debug or what the problem could be? Looks like there is a memory limitation somewhere.

Anjali