[vfio-users] Occasional kernel Oops happened.

Blank Field ihatethisfield at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 04:06:48 UTC 2016

I have only seen this once.
The vm was idle, with keyboard and mouse detached from it. (I use
virtmanager's SDL window for input capturing)

I was doing some usb flash data transferring on the host, involving
repeated usb  connect-disconnect, as you can see in dmesg.
Also, my usb mouse seems to be feeling shy, as it disconnects and
reconnects every couple of minutes sometimes, that can also be seen in
dmesg.

I've had experienced kernel oopses in the past, when i've had fedora 23
with a rather old kernel installed. But they usually were related to a
not-so-lucky ovmf build, since simply updating that package instantly fixed
the problem.
However, that happened rarely and the VM usually crashed at startup.

Here, as you can see in dmesg, the VM was started a long time ago, note the
"zapping shadow pages" message.