[vfio-users] No boot screen on Quadro M5000?

Bronek Kozicki brok at spamcop.net
Sat Feb 6 21:56:25 UTC 2016

I wonder if anyone else is using Quadro M5000 ; I pulled the trigged on
two for my workstation and they work reliably with vfio pass-through
(yay, finally no reset issues!), but one thing is missing and I wonder
if I'm doing something wrong.

Windows does boot, GPU works well and the drivers report the card
exactly as expected, picture quality and performance is excellent as
expected, however Windows boot screen is not displayed. The first screen
displayed by passed-through GPU after boot is Windows 7 blue logon
screen. When I switched my Windows to the new card, I had to put "<rom
bar='off'/>" in libvirt device definition, because otherwise it would
not boot.

FWIW, I am using experimental x-vga=on setup with regular BIOS. I tried
installing a new OS with OVMF and vfio passthrough, but so far
unsuccessfully. My OVMF machines work with spice, only vfio part does
not seem to work for me. However I have not spent much time trying vfio
with OVMF with this card yet.

B.