[vfio-users] Poor Performance and freeze ingame with NVIDIA and 4570K

Mario Goebbels me at tomservo.cc
Sun Feb 7 23:32:29 UTC 2016

I had issues with freezes in GTA V. The game spawns a whole lot of disk IO,
due to streaming geometry, which is done by default under the QEMU global
lock from what I've read. My naive suspicion was that IO waits were hogging
said lock, getting the VCPUs in a bunch eventually (disk device is an iSCSI
share with bcache on top, cold data has high latency). Once I shoved the
disk IO stuff into its separate thread using iothreads, the freezing
stopped happening. The situation may be similar with Star Citizen. So, my
suggestion is to put your disk IO on an iothread, and also specifying
ioeventfd for both disk and networking.

Also, despite most guides say to disable the Hyper-V stuff, it can actually
do a lot for your framerates. The only problem is that NVidia mucks about,
so you'd need to change the Hyper-V vendor ID*, which only works from
command-line but not libvirt (situation might have changed, I think I've
read bits that NVidia doesn't go Code 43 anymore when it sees the Hyper-V
ID, but I haven't tested). I don't think AMD has any issues with Hyper-V.
If you have an Intel CPU starting from Ivy Bridge-E or Haswell, don't
enable the Hyper-V VAPIC so that it uses APICv instead, which is more
efficient.

Hope that'll help,
-mg

*: hv-vendor-id option on the CPU line, requires QEMU 2.5.