[vfio-users] Win 10 VM often freezes Linux when shutting down

Jens Zimmermann zimmermannjens888 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 21:41:53 UTC 2016

Hello guys!

I have a Windows 10 VM with GPU passsthrough working for around 2 months
now and while there were no problems in the very beginning as far as I can
tell, soon after the VM started to freeze my Linux sometimes after I shut
it down.
The strange thing is that it does not happen every time. It seems like it
usually happens when the VM was running for quite some time like an hour or
two.
I thought it may be the Windows shut down which is by default some kind of
hibernate, so I shut down Windows by using the command "shutdown /s /t0",
but that did not help. I also tried force stopping the VM, that led to a
freeze as well.

I presume the error is caused by Linux not being able to integrate the
virtual/passed through hardware into the system again somehow. Perhaps it's
the memory since the freezes usually happen when the VM was running for
some time, but this is just a wild guess, I am no linux expert at all.

This is journalctl of the most recent freeze, VM was started at 20:13 and
shut down at 21:09, followed by a freeze: http://pastebin.com/mwQsFsKB
In comparison this time it did not freeze, start at 21:33, finishes at
21:55: http://pastebin.com/YGPnVPBD

My setup: i7-5820k, ASRock x99 Extreme 4, 16GB RAM, nvidia 210 & 750 Ti,
two monitors, mice and keyboards, Manjaro 15.12 with kernel 4.1, qemu
2.4.1-2, libvirt 1.3.1-2, virt-manager 1.3.2-2
qemu xml: http://pastebin.com/WPupqDEv

I would be glad to provide you more information, just tell me what you want
and how I can get it.

I really appreciate any suggestion, I am out of ideas now.

Regards,
Jens