[vfio-users] designating primary display during boot?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Fri Feb 26 08:55:50 UTC 2016

I notice that when I have both an emulated display and a passthrough GPU
configured:

a) if the passthrough display is on pcie.0 then the emulated display has
no picture.  In the VNC window, it says it is waiting to be initialized,
so I assume it is trying to initialize the passthrough display or use it
as primary.  It often gets stuck at 100% CPU at this point.

b) if the passthrough display is configured on another bus (e.g. using
ioh3420 command line option below) then the emulated display is used as
the primary display

Is there some way to explicitly designate which display is primary for
the bootup phase?

This is the command line fragment mentioned for ioh3420, when there is
an emulated display and when the passthrough VGA is connected to root.1
rather thant pcie.0, the passthrough is never being used as primary:

-device
ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1