[vfio-users] VM Randomly Becomes Choppy

Ben J btpprograms at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 05:36:53 UTC 2016

I've recently been having issues with my VM's framerate dropping at random.
It generally boots up completely fine, but at seemingly random points it
starts to stutter and doesn't stop until the VM is fully turned off and
back on again. It started out being fairly rare, but now happens on almost
every launch of the VM after a few minutes.

My specs:

Host OS: Arch Linux

Guest OS: Windows 7

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

CPU: I7-3960X

Graphics: 2X EVGA GTX 580's

My Launch Script:

killall synergys

synergys

QEMU_PA_SAMPLES=4096 QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m
4096 -mem-path /dev/hugepages -cpu host,kvm=off \

-smp 6,sockets=1,cores=6,threads=1 \

-bios /usr/share/qemu/bios.bin  -vga none \

-device vfio-pci,host=02:00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on \

-device vfio-pci,host=02:00.1 \

-net nic,model=virtio,vlan=0,macaddr=DE:AD:BE:EF:D4:41 \

-net tap,vlan=0,id=network0,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no,vhost=on \

-usb -usbdevice host:046d:c534 -usbdevice host:045e:028e \

-soundhw hda \

-boot menu=on \

-drive file=/dev/sda1,format=raw,if=virtio,cache=none \

-drive
file=/mnt/LinuxStorage/ISOs/Windows/Drivers/virtio.iso,id=virtiocd,if=none,format=raw
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=virtiocd

The issue seems to get triggered immediately whenever I launch a Skype or
Discord call. It also seems to be more likely when I'm running a game
within the VM (Tested with Rocket League and Rivals of Aether). It has also
happened without either of those being open though. I'm really at a loss.
I've tried disabling huge pages since I suspected that I might not have
enough, but that showed no difference. Restarting the computer fixes it
temporarily but it usually happens again shortly after I restart. The same
thing happens when I suspend and wake up the computer. Has anyone
experienced this issue before?