[vfio-users] Win10 guest stops responding. How to debug?

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Sat Feb 27 12:51:15 UTC 2016

On February 27, 2016 at 18:31:39, mario goebbels (me at tomservo.cc(mailto:me at tomservo.cc)) wrote:

> It's possible it's the IO. I had similar issues with GTA V in a VM, where its large amounts of IO, due to the game's streaming geometry and textures against my iSCSI disk, got everything in a tizzy, altho it were freezes of a few seconds only. I solved it by using iothreads.
>
> As far as hugepages go, your kernel is recent enough for transparent hugepages, so you'll be using 2MB hugepages already.
>
> In regards to the CPU flags, ditch hv_vapic. You have a Haswell, with APICv, which has less overhead in KVM.
>
> -mg

Hi Mario,

I think Alex had mentioned before in one of the past thread [1], that in case of GPU passthrough (or device assignment in general), transparent hugepages is not beneficial. Instead use traditional hugepages.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2015-November/msg00085.html

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah