[vfio-users] Trying to pass through USB controller.

Samuel Holland samuel at sholland.org
Tue Feb 23 20:39:43 UTC 2016

Hello,

On 02/23/2016 02:06 PM, Jonathan Scruggs wrote:
> Okay, I disabled xHCI in the bios and mapped all the ports. I want
> all 6 on Host Controller #2 to be passed through to the quest. It's
> 00:1a.0. I select that in Libvirt, so how do I make the mask which I
> want permanently passed through.

You want a mask of 00 0000 1111 1111
                    \_____/ \_______/
                    EHCI #2  EHCI #1

In hexadecimal, that's 0x00ff. If you want it to be permanent, then you
can just stick the setpci command in /etc/rc.local or somewhere, and not
bother with any of the toggling setup.

> There are 6 ports on Controller #2. For Controller #1, there are 10
> ports. However, 4 are under a hub that is on port 5. I could not
> find a port 6 for controller #1.

There should be exactly 8 ports on controller #1, ignoring any hubs
connected downstream.

> BTW, if you have one guest, you may want to check out the patches
> for qemu that use your host keyboard and mouse and pass them through
> as a PS2/USB device and you use both ctrl keys to switch back and
> forth.

That sounds interesting, but my main reason for doing this is to avoid
USB passthrough. I originally set this up to use the onboard Bluetooth
module in Windows, with bluetooth headphones, so I could avoid audio
emulation (since my monitor doesn't support audio over DVI). When I used
USB passthrough, playback would stutter every minute or so; this way
works flawlessly. Keyboard and mouse was an afterthought.

--
Regards,
Samuel Holland <samuel at sholland.org>