[vfio-users] VT-d with linux guests

antti anonyymi apneustic at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 10:35:47 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm having a bit trouble passing through a GPU to linux guest. All in
all everything works well with Windows 10 and 7 guests, but I cannot get
linux guests working. I have two GPUs installed for passthrough which
I've tried, ATI 7970 and Nvidia gt610, neither of those seem to work.
I've tried SteamOs (debian), latest ubuntu, debian netinst and kodibuntu
(ubuntu). I've tried OVMF and bios options via virt-manager. Few times
I've gotten blank screen so there's been some output, but on the other
hand I've gotten host freezes as well with nothing on dmesg when
rebooting/booting linux guests.

With windows guests I've gotten no host freezes on 4.1X.XX (don't recall
the exact version, I've been using latest steamos kernel).

Is there some guide for getting linux guests working? Any tips?

Antti