[vfio-users] BSOD when installing drivers for R9 290

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:30:38 UTC 2016

Hey all

First experiment with VFIO. I'm running

Fedora 23 x64 with an Intel i7-6700k, and an R9 290. Host is booting with
UEFI, guest is booting via UEFI. VT-D/VT-X/IOMMU are all enabled and
seeming to function. The card works fine under Windows 10 (real hardware).
Qemu's log and "dmesg | grep kvm" dont show any obvious errors.

I'm using the builds from the virt-preview repo.

My problem is.. The Win7 (and Win8.1) guests are perfectly fine and stable
until I try to install the amd crimson drivers. Then Windows BSODs, yelling
about an unhandled exception. If I unpack the install and install things
piecemeal, then I can install the HDMI audio driver, and everything else
okay...except for the display driver. Installing the display driver causes
the BSOD.

This happens on kernels 4.1 and 4.2. I'm using vfii-stub to stub out the
hardware during boot on the host.

I don't know what info would be helpful for debugging, just ask and I will
supply as soon as I can. Has anyone had any success passing an r9 290?

Cheers
Eric