[vfio-users] Cannot have sound from the guest

Feadurn feadurn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 15:45:30 UTC 2016

I have everything working except the sound from the guest. I am using
pulseaudio and it works out of the box for everything else except having
the sound from the vm.

I reinstalled pulseaudio and pulseaudio-alsa to be sure I have a clean
install

I follow the guide here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#QEMU

When I run the command

	qemu-system-x86_64 -audio-help | awk '/Name: pa/' RS=

I get

    Name: pa
    Theoretically supports many playback voices
    Theoretically supports many capture voices
       QEMU_PA_SAMPLES: integer, default = 4096
         buffer size in samples
       QEMU_PA_SERVER: string, default = (not set)
         server address
       QEMU_PA_SINK: string, default = (not set)
         sink device name
       QEMU_PA_SOURCE: string, default = (not set)
         source device name

Then I add in my xml the following options

       <qemu:commandline>
         <qemu:env name='QEMU_AUDIO_DRV' value='pa'/>
         <qemu:env name='QEMU_PA_SINK'
    value='alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo'/>
         <qemu:env name='QEMU_PA_SOURCE' value='input'/>
       </qemu:commandline>

The value of QEMU_PA_SINK is obtained with the command
     pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index'

In qemu.conf I uncomment the following options

    |vnc_allow_host_audio = 1
    nographics_allow_host_audio = 1||

libvirt as root user. I then switch to be able to use it as user.
However myy vm is still on the root system but I can launch it as user
without password (I didn't find the way to move the vm to the qemu
user-session)

When I launch the VM I don't have sound (even in the vm everything works
with the AC97 installed on win10 64) and I get the following output:

    pulseaudio: pa_context_connect() failed
    pulseaudio: Reason: Connection refused
    pulseaudio: Failed to initialize PA contextaudio: Could not init
    `pa' audio driver
    pulseaudio: pa_context_connect() failed
    pulseaudio: Reason: Connection refused
    pulseaudio: Failed to initialize PA contextaudio: Could not init
    `pa' audio driver
    alsa: Could not initialize ADC
    alsa: Failed to open `default':
    alsa: Reason: Device or resource busy