[vfio-users] Audio (pulse) intermittently (now always) crackles

Dustin Jerome rollhax at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 06:20:20 UTC 2016

Hey all,

The basics;

arch linux, standard kernel (4.2.5-1)
Intel i5 4690K
nVidia GTX 960
MSI Z97 Krait Edition

I got everything set up some weeks ago after building a new rig. Took a
little set up, but overall things worked great. Awesome performance.

The only large issue has been the audio. For the first 2-3 weeks it seemed
that if I didn't start my VM right away after boot, the audio for both host
and VM applications would crackle horribly. Usually a restart and firing up
the VM right away left me in a state where the audio was good/great until
I'd reboot the host.

I'm passing through the discrete card and using my Intel integrated chip
for the host. I do all my gaming inside the Windows VM, and everything else
in the host (linux) environment, so the integrated chip works fine for that.

As of today, it doesn't seem to matter. Without the VM running, host audio
is perfect. With the VM running, both host and VM audio are horribly
crackly.

Here's some relevant exports:
QEMU_PA_SAMPLES=6144
QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=pa
PULSE_COOKIE=~/.config/pulse/cookie
QEMU_PA_SOURCE=input

I'm using hda as my audio emulator ("-soundhw hda").

As of this morning, I've been unable to get it to work without crackling
madly. Nothing changed at that time besides a reboot of the VM.

Unsure what all info would be needed, but I'm happy to provide whatever
info may be useful.